Thursday, February 3, 2011

another year, another life

After a long absence, I feel able to tentatively stretch out and restart writing A Life Reclaimed.

For months, I loved my blog posts, I felt energised and the words spilt off the ends of my fingers, flowing inexorably, tumbling forth as a form of catharthis. Unfortunately, I suddenly dried up, and came to a halt, like a stubborn carthorse, not a step further, heels dug in, inspiration dried up.

After my writer's block set in, I realised I was depressed, and although I was busy, the days blurred and before I knew it, the year was drawing to a close still with no resolution to the problems in my life.

However, as we start a new year, I realise that the future for many people will be difficult, and my problems are no more important than those of any man on the street, struggling to survive against some pretty long odds. We are all in this together.

Autumn and winter last year were very dramatic in this village, extreme cold, mountains of snow, icy roads, and frozen and then burst pipes. The senior daughter painted a lovely picture of Christmas here, snow, roaring log fires, carol singing, and long walks, culminating in a wonderful candlelit Christmas dinner. It was truly wonderful, a complete Dickensian Christmas, a Christmas I shall remember with joy and sadness as my last one in this house. However, the reality was a little different for those of us who struggled for some 4 weeks beforehand with the extreme conditions.

Early in December I began suffering frozen pipes - I managed to avoid disaster for several weeks, and then disaster struck. Down came my kitchen ceiling, and chaos reigned. However, true to the television adverts, my insurance company pulled out all the stops, and just before Christmas Eve, we were restored to a position where we could enjoy ourselves. Most people in the village were stuck because of the atrocious state of the roads, and what fun we all had, walking between houses in the deep snow for drinks and suppers, an enchanting Christmas morning communion service in Church, candlelight, holly, ivy, and a warm glow. A Christmas experienced perhaps only once in a lifetime.

The senior daughter struggled to get home from New York, and finally arrived almost at home, having caught the airport bus from Heathrow to Banbury on Christmas Eve morning. There she came to a halt. I could not get my car up the lane to collect her, no taxis were available but luckily a kind friend managed to get into town to fetch her. It all seemed so exciting, but in reality it was nothing of the sort. She was exhausted, and very relieved to be home.

Now - a new year, the third on my own, and I have faced up to the fact that soon I shall be packing up my possessions and 25 years of memories, and hitting the road.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I've missed reading your blog and am so glad to see you writing again. I hope that you will continue to share your experiences as your new life continues to unfold.

karen said...

I'm glad to read your beautiful, honest writing again. Onwards!

Claire said...

Hello Aurora, how lovely to see you blogging again. I am a long-time devoted LLG reader, and when reading Sasha's posts at Christmas I wondered how you were getting on and hoped we would see you back posting here soon.

I hope 2011 brings you peace and happiness and lots of wonderful things round the next 'bend in the road'.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - I'm so glad you feel able to write again. I find your writing so beautiful and restful, thank you.

xxdfarre said...

So glad I looked today...have looked from time to time in the past months. Great that you feel up to writing again and do hope you will keep on!

Anonymous said...

It's soooo good to hear from you!! I love reading your blog and was begining to think that maybe you weren't going to write anymore. What a relief! So a (belated) Happy New Year to you and I hope that 2011 brings you peace and happiness

Red Lipstick said...

So glad to hear from you! What a wonderful Christmas you describe, it sounds magical. All the very best to you in 2011.

Little Brown Bird said...

Lovely to see you back. I hope 2011 brings better things for you x

Giulia said...

I just saw a note from LLG that you were blogging again. As others have, I welcome you back & hope for the best. I,too, found myself wondering how you were when reading about the Christmas doings on LLG. Don't stay away too long. xoxo

Carole said...

Oh, welcome back! I was so happy to see LLG's tweet that you were blogging again.

You were missed.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

How wonderful to have you back xx

Rose said...

very glad your back- and your Christmas does sound wonderful but I know from the snow days myself that it's something of a battle to get to the point of the happy day.

I hope 2011 is a very good year