Monday, March 1, 2010

Blue skies and gentle sun on one's back

So - the sun shone, and two sets of tennis were energising and fun. The four of us have played together for quite some time, and are very evenly matched. It was incredible, the change in the temperature and the weather. The sky was so blue and the weak sun on our backs spread a mild warmth that was a harbinger for Spring.

My sheep grazed quietly, something they hsve been unable to do for months. The dogs sat in their bed, which I placed on the grass outside the court - every so often, they got up, and ran around on the grass, Billy racing up and down in great spurts of speed, he was so happy at last to be out freely in the fresh air.

Afterwards we drank tea, and ate the Moroccan Orange cake, which was delicious, citrusy, almondy, and thickly dusted with icing sugar. We sat round the kitchen table and gossiped - and suddenly, life was looking better.

Later, I lit a fire as the temperature suddenly dropped, and the dogs and I settled down for a cosy evening. Billy draped himself round my shoulders, his head under my chin, Maud snuggled up beside me. I drank a glass of red wine, the senior daughter cooked a comforting supper, pasta with a leek and mushroom sauce which we ate in front of the fire, whilst we watched University Challenge, shouting out the answers. Tonight - the questions were particularly cerebral, but we held our ends up rather well, I thought.

Now it is late - outside it is very cold, a frost beckons, the sky clear, stars twinkling. The contrast in temperature noticeable after such a sunny day - I am going to bed with my pile of new books, and of course, the dogs. Two warm, loving, sweet-smelling beings to whom I am utterly devoted. I will prop myself up on a great pile of pillows, angle the bedside light for maximum effect, draw the dogs to me and
open my book.

When I eventually turn out the light, I will lie for a while, gently stroking a soft velvety ear on each side of me, trying to make sense of the maelstrom swirling through my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, your descriptive detail makes one feel right beside you in the sunshine. xx

The Spicers said...

Beautifully told.

Anonymous said...

BONJOUR
BELLE DESCRIPTION D UNE JOURNEE ORDINAIRE MAIS EXTRAORDINAIRE ??
LES MOMENTS SIMPLES SONT SOUVENT LES PLUS RECONFORTANT
JE VOUS SOUHAITE DE BELLES JOURNEES A VENIR AVEC CE PRINTEMPS QUI POINTE SON NEZ
MARIE

Cider&Roses said...

Happy Spring to you... have a look at my blog and you might enjoy the soundtrack that could go with your spring morning!

I love to read you & LLG - you're both gifted ... i wonder if lil'sis will ever step into the fold -

Happy day -

X